16.6 C
Ottawa
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Man armed with knife shot dead by police

Date:

Image of street sign

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Image caption,

A man had been threatening people at a home in Borland Avenue, Carlisle

A man armed with a knife has been shot dead by police at a house in Cumbria.

Police were called to reports of a man threatening people at a home in Borland Avenue, Carlisle, just after 15:30 GMT.

On arrival they found a man with a knife and a police firearm was discharged. A man aged in his 40s was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said no other members of the public were injured and the incident was not being treated as terrorism.

A cordon is in place at the scene and people have been urged to stay away, with increased police patrols in the Botcherby area.

The incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct as a matter of routine.

A spokesman for the watchdog said: “Our investigators are attending the scene and the police post-incident procedures, where the officers involved will be providing their initial accounts.

“The investigation is at a very early stage and no further information can be provided at this time.

“Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragic incident.”

Follow BBC North East & Cumbria on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to northeastandcumbria@bbc.co.uk.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Auto giants surprisingly resilient as sweeping U.S. tariffs spare Canada and Mexico for now

The Stellantis Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada,...

Trump’s 25% auto tariffs are in effect. What investors need to know

Vehicles seen on the lot of a Ford auto...

Layoff announcements surge to the most since the pandemic as Musk’s DOGE slices federal labor force

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services...

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this