16.6 C
Ottawa
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Métro Média to declare bankruptcy as local journalism takes another hit

Date:

Montreal

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Métro Média will declare bankruptcy this week, permanently ending its coverage of local government in parts of the province’s two largest cities, the head of the Quebec newspaper publisher said Sunday.

‘The Journal Métro as you knew it no longer exists,’ says Métro Média CEO

The Canadian Press

·

a Metro newspaper on a table

Journal Métro was known as a pillar of local news in Montreal, but is being forced to fold due to budget constraints. (Radio-Canada)

Métro Média will declare bankruptcy this week, permanently ending its coverage of local government in parts of the province’s two largest cities, the head of the Quebec newspaper publisher said Sunday.

In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, CEO Andrew Mulé said the decision was made after the company abruptly suspended operations at its more than 30 hyper-local publications last month, including the Journal Metro and 16 print weeklies.

“The Journal Métro as you knew it no longer exists. The decision to proceed with the voluntary transfer of Métro Média’s assets has been ratified,” Mulé wrote Sunday.

In a statement sent to employees on Aug. 11, Mulé said he’d been informed the company no longer had the liquidity to continue despite what he described as a “healthy balance sheet.”

On Sunday, he said the impending bankruptcy marks a “sad epilogue” to his 28 months at the helm.

“I think of my teams, our readers and I feel infinite sadness, a lot of bitterness and regrets. I also feel a terrible sense of unfinished business,” Mulé said.

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Auto giants surprisingly resilient as sweeping U.S. tariffs spare Canada and Mexico for now

The Stellantis Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada,...

Trump’s 25% auto tariffs are in effect. What investors need to know

Vehicles seen on the lot of a Ford auto...

Layoff announcements surge to the most since the pandemic as Musk’s DOGE slices federal labor force

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services...

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this