11.5 C
Ottawa
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Arsenal transfer ‘virtually completed’ as they beat Liverpool, Man City to long-term target

Date:

Premier League side Arsenal will sign long-term target Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad at the end of the season, according to reports.

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Zubimendi has been heavily linked with Premier League clubs over the past year with Arsenal initially mooted as his most likely next destination until Liverpool moved to sign him in the summer.

Liverpool’s summer priority was to sign a new No.6 and Zubimendi was chosen as their preferred target. The Premier League giants were expected to secure his services, but this proposed transfer fell through as the Spaniard decided to stick with his boyhood club Real Sociedad.

Zubimendi was subsequently expected to commit his future to Real Sociedad by signing a contract extension, but he is yet to do so and has still been linked with an exit.

Defending Premier League champions Manchester City have also been linked but now the Daily Mail claim that Arsenal have a ‘deal virtually completed’ to sign Zubimendi in the summer.

The newspaper claims that Arsenal ‘will land long-term target Martin Zubimendi at the end of the season’ after the Real Sociedad midfielder had been ‘courted by Mikel Arteta for over 12 months and talks over a summer move are now at an advanced stage with sources indicating the deal is virtually completed.’

The report adds:

‘Arsenal would like the midfielder to join immediately but Sociedad have insisted Zubimendi stays until the end of the season.

‘Zubimendi chose to stay in Spain last summer despite varying degrees of interest from Arsenal and Liverpool, though it is understood the Gunners didn’t make a formal offer for the player during the previous window.

MORE ARSENAL COVERAGE ON F365
👉 Big Midweek: Arsenal v Tottenham, Nottingham Forest, Moyes, Lewis, Post-Rooney Plymouth
👉 Nico Williams to Arsenal and Man City triple swoop among ten moves which can spark title race into life
👉 Mailbox: Mikel Arteta sack calls get a massive kicking from Arsenal fans

‘There has also been interest in Zubimendi from Manchester City following the season ending injury suffered by Rodri.

‘But Arsenal’s need for a new central midfielder ahead of next season has been heightened with Jorginho and Thomas Partey both out of contract at the end of the season and the club have accelerated their interest in Zubimendi.’

It’s understood that Zubimendi has a €60million (£51m) release clause in his contract at the Reale Arena and Arsenal ‘will formally trigger’ that in the summer.

The deal comes after Arteta revealed on Tuesday that Arsenal were “actively” looking at options to improve his squad in January after injuries to Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Jesus.

When asked if Jesus’ injury increases the need for signings this month, Arteta told a press conference: “My answer doesn’t change. We are actively looking into the market to improve the squad. We always have been. It would be naive not too. We are looking and we are trying, so let’s see what we can do.

“To recruit a player there are three parties who have to agree to that. The fact I love my players doesn’t mean we can’t think about improving. We do daily and when the market comes around we have to make sure we have the best resources and capacity to compete the way that we want to.”

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this

Quebec coroner says poor planning, lack of training contributed to deaths of firefighters

MontrealA coroner's report has concluded that the deaths of...

B.C. court bars social media influencer Dan Bilzerian from promoting vapes globally

British ColumbiaBritish Columbia's Supreme Court has granted an injunction barring...

Neo-Nazi terror propagandist ‘Dark Foreigner’ guilty on all counts

OttawaAn Ottawa man has been found guilty of trying...