2.8 C
Ottawa
Friday, April 4, 2025

Bodies of 16 migrants recovered off Tunisia’s eastern coast

Date:

Samples have been taken to identify the bodies of the migrants and refugees ‘due to the extent of decomposition’.

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

The bodies of 16 migrants and refugees have been recovered by Tunisia’s coastguard off the country’s eastern coast, the National Guard says, the latest migrant boat disaster in the Mediterranean.

“The bodies were found at the weekend and on Monday … The victims have not been identified because the bodies had decomposed,” a senior official in the National Guard, Houssem Eddine Jebabli, told Reuters news agency.

Samples have been taken to identify the bodies “due to the extent of decomposition”, said Farid Ben Jha, spokesman for the Monastir and Mahdia governorates’ public prosecution.

He said the bodies were found in three different areas in Mahdia, one of Tunisia’s hotspots for irregular migration.

Tunisia and neighbouring Libya have become key departure points for migrants and refugees, often from other African countries, who risk perilous Mediterranean Sea journeys in the hopes of better lives in Europe.

Italy, whose Lampedusa island is only 150km (90 miles) from Tunisia, is often their first port of call. Every year, tens of thousands of people attempt to make the crossing.

Last month, at least 15 Tunisian people died, including three infants, and 10 others went missing after their boat sank off the Tunisian coast at Djerba as they sought to cross the Mediterranean to Europe. At least 29 others were rescued.

The bodies of 13 sub-Saharan African migrants and refugees were also recovered in the same area last month.

Since January 1 this year, at least 103 makeshift boats have capsized and 341 bodies have been recovered off Tunisia’s coast, according to the Ministry of the Interior.

More than 1,300 people died or disappeared last year in shipwrecks off the North African country, according to the Tunisian FTDES rights group.

The International Organization for Migration has said more than 30,309 migrants and refugees have died in the Mediterranean in the past decade, including more than 3,000 last year across the vast sea.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Paul Pogba second-worst among 53 Man Utd post-Fergie departees

The top seven all enjoyed their post-United success abroad, with an ex-England defender enjoying the best new lease of life.  During Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign, it used to be said that the only way was down after Manchester United . Which was probably true then. What about since Ferguson left? Here’s how we’ve ranked those

What we learned from Radio-Canada’s ‘Cinq chefs’ party leader interviews

French-speaking Canadians got a first taste of how the...

‘They make me always feel at home,’ says patient as Toronto’s SickKids Hospital marks 150 years

TorontoToronto's Hospital for Sick Children celebrated its 150th birthday...

Dairy producers dodge U.S. tariffs, but say there’s still a big battle ahead

8 hours agoNewsDuration 3:01The upcoming review of the Canada-US-Mexico...