0.4 C
Ottawa
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Charges dropped against four of five who protested the 2023 Giller Prize ceremony

Date:

Entertainment

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Pro-Palestinian organizers say charges against four of the five activists arrested for protesting last year’s Giller Prize have been withdrawn.

Protesters interrupted the literary award carrying signs that read ‘Scotiabank Funds Genocide’

The Canadian Press

ยท

A person holds up a white sign that says

A protestor holding a sign reading ‘Scotiabank funds genocide’ is escorted off the stage during the Scotiabank Giller Prize in Toronto on Nov. 13, 2023. The protesters interrupted the literary award carrying signs referring to the then-title sponsor’s investment in the Israeli arms manufacturer Elbit Systems. (Rob Gillies/The Associated Press)

Pro-Palestinian organizers say charges against four of the five activists arrested for protesting last year’s Giller Prize have been withdrawn.

The group CanLit Responds announced the move at a press conference across the street from a Scotiabank branch on Friday morning.

The protesters interrupted the literary award ceremony in November 2023 carrying signs that read “Scotiabank Funds Genocide,” referring to the then-title sponsor’s investment in the Israeli arms manufacturer Elbit Systems.

Three people were arrested the night of the ceremony and charged with criminal mischief and using a forged document to gain entry to the ceremony, while CanLit Responds says two others were arrested later.

WATCH | Authors withdraw books from consideration for Giller Prize:ย 

Authors drop out of Giller Prize to protest ties with Israeli defence contractor

A prestigious Canadian literary prize will maintain its partnership with Scotiabank after nearly 20 authors pulled their books from consideration to protest the bank’s investment in an Israeli defence contractor.

Maysam Abu Khreibeh, 26, who was arrested that night, says the move to withdraw the charges was delayed for months.

“I do feel relieved to hear that the courts finally recognize that what we did is not something that should be criminalized, that the charges were withdrawn,” she said after the press conference.

Her lawyer, Riaz Sayani, says in a statement that the protesters never should have been charged.

Toronto Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

CanLit Responds says charges against the fifth protester are still pending and that they were arrested in September 2024, nearly a year after the ceremony.

Asked to comment on the charges being dropped, Giller Foundation executive director Elana Rabinovitch said the literary non-profit “fully and unequivocally supports freedom of speech, expression, dissent and the right to protest.”

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Quebec coroner says poor planning, lack of training contributed to deaths of firefighters

MontrealA coroner's report has concluded that the deaths of...

B.C. court bars social media influencer Dan Bilzerian from promoting vapes globally

British ColumbiaBritish Columbia's Supreme Court has granted an injunctionย barring...

Neo-Nazi terror propagandist ‘Dark Foreigner’ guilty on all counts

OttawaAn Ottawa man has been found guilty of trying...

Is Trump right about Canada charging 250% dairy tariffs? | About That

18 hours agoNewsDuration 12:49President Donald Trump says Canada has...