7.9 C
Ottawa
Friday, April 4, 2025

China says it hasn’t banned iPhones or foreign devices for government staff

Date:

Apple CEO Tim Cook attends China Development Forum 2017 – Economic Summit at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse on March 18, 2017 in Beijing, China.

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

VCG | Getty Images

China has not instituted any laws or regulations prohibiting government employees from using or buying foreign phones, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Wednesday, addressing media reports that said government staffers had been banned from using Apple iPhones.

“China has not issued any laws, regulations or policy documents prohibiting the purchase and use of mobile phones from foreign brands such as Apple,” a Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson said at a regularly scheduled briefing Wednesday in Beijing.

Apple shares dipped as much as 4% last week after The Wall Street Journal reported that staffers at central government agencies had been banned from using iPhones for work and even from bringing the smartphones into government offices, citing people familiar. Bloomberg reported that China planned to extend the ban to government-backed agencies and state-owned enterprises, citing people familiar.

The Journal reported that the instructions were given out verbally or in chat groups but that there was not formal guidance on the matter. The Foreign Ministry specifically denied the existence of any official policy barring foreign phone use but did not address the informal guidance reported by the Journal.

Apple shares were down less than 1% in early trading Wednesday, a day after the company announced the new iPhone 15.

The response from the Foreign Ministry spokesperson also noted unspecified “security incidents” linked to iPhones.

“We have indeed noticed recently that many media have exposed security incidents related to Apple mobile phones,” the spokesperson said. “The Chinese government attaches great importance to information and network security.”

— CNBC’s Eunice Yoon contributed to this report.

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Auto giants surprisingly resilient as sweeping U.S. tariffs spare Canada and Mexico for now

The Stellantis Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada,...

Trump’s 25% auto tariffs are in effect. What investors need to know

Vehicles seen on the lot of a Ford auto...

Layoff announcements surge to the most since the pandemic as Musk’s DOGE slices federal labor force

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services...

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this