11.5 C
Ottawa
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Crew rescued after cargo vessel runs aground on Newfoundland’s west coast

Date:

NL

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Saturday Morning, a large cargo ran aground in off the west coast of the island. Search and rescue helicopter crews were deployed and rescued crew from the ship. The Canadian Coast Guard is working on a response plan focused on marine environmental hazards.

The MSC Baltic III has run aground near Lark Harbour, N.L.

CBC News

·

Large boat in shallow water near cliffside

On Saturday morning, the large cargo vessel MSC Baltic III ran aground near Lark Harbour, N.L. (Tim Woods, NL Maritime/Facebook )

All crew members of the MSC Baltic III have been rescued after their vessel ran aground close to the Lark Harbour shoreline off Newfoundland and Labrador’s west coast.

Early Saturday morning, the Marine Communications and Traffic Services Centre in nearby Channel-Port aux Basques received a mayday from the cargo ship, about 12 nautical miles (22 kilometres) off the entrance to the Bay of Islands.

At that time, the ship reported a loss of power. 

Conditions were not in the crew’s favour. A winter storm warning was in effect in the region at the time of the incident, with winds up to 120 km/h. Ferry crossings to Nova Scotia from nearby Port aux Basques had been cancelled for the day.

As such, the crew were unable to secure an anchor, leaving them adrift.

According to the Canadian Coast Guard, shortly after losing power, the ship ran aground in Wild Cove, west of Lark Harbour, with 20 crew members aboard.

Photos and video posted to social media show the vessel against the rocks, close to the cliffs.

Premier Andrew Furey confirmed Saturday morning that all 20 crew members had been safely evacuated. 

The crew were airlifted from the Baltic III via Cormorant helicopter.

The Halifax Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre said it was alerted to the full power blackout on the vessel on Saturday morning. In a social media post, the centre said that “thanks to 103 and 413 #SAR Squadrons’ swift response, all 20 crew were airlifted to safety.”

The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) ship Henry Larsen was in the area, and search-and-rescue aircraft, including a Cormorant helicopter, also joined the rescue effort.

A CCG response plan is underway, with a Marine Environmental Hazards Response team who will be working with the operator of the MSC Baltic III. The Henry Larsen is staying in the area, while CCG crew and equipment are on the way.

The incident occurred on the anniversary of the Ocean Ranger disaster in 1982, during which 84 men lost their lives.

The cause of the loss of power aboard MSC Baltic III is not yet known.

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Auto giants surprisingly resilient as sweeping U.S. tariffs spare Canada and Mexico for now

The Stellantis Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada,...

Trump’s 25% auto tariffs are in effect. What investors need to know

Vehicles seen on the lot of a Ford auto...

Layoff announcements surge to the most since the pandemic as Musk’s DOGE slices federal labor force

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services...

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this