16.2 C
Ottawa
Friday, April 4, 2025

Several killed in Thailand fireworks warehouse explosion

Date:

At least 12 killed and more than 100 others injured in a blast at a fireworks warehouse in Sungai Kolok.

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

At least 12 people have been killed and more than 100 others injured after an explosion ripped through a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand, officials said.

The blast in the town of Sungai Kolok in the southern province of Narathiwat on Saturday is thought to have been caused by welding during construction work on the building, the provincial governor said.

“There are 10 deaths plus the remains of two unidentified persons, which were sent for DNA checks,” Sanan Pongaksorn said, adding that 121 were injured, two severely.

Sanan said, “There should be no more deaths.”

The Narathiwat province’s Public Relations Department said more than 200 households were affected. It said that officials believe there are still a number of people trapped under the debris. The blast caused damage in a radius of about 500 metres (1,640 feet), it said.

Thailand fireworks warehouse blast
People speak on their phones in front of a house damaged by an explosion at a fireworks warehouse in Narathiwat province, southern Thailand [Kriya Tehtani/AP Photo]

Videos posted on social media from the site showed a huge plume of smoke over the area and many damaged structures, cars and motorbikes, as well as streets covered with debris. Many of the houses and other buildings appear to have collapsed roofs and walls.

Public broadcaster Thai PBS said as many as 500 houses were damaged by the explosion in the border town on the frontier with Malaysia.

Witness Seksan Taesen, who lives 100 metres (328 feet) away from the warehouse, said there was “chaos” after the blast.

“I was playing with my phone inside the house then suddenly, I heard a loud, thunderous noise and my whole house shook,” Seksan told the AFP news agency.

“Then I saw my roof was wide open. I looked outside and I saw houses collapsing and people lying on the ground everywhere. It was chaos.”

Narathiwat police commander, Police Major General Chalermporn Khamkhiew, said shortly before the explosion firecrackers had been delivered.

“We are investigating if those firecrackers were transported legally or illegally,” he said.

“As of now, we do not see any licence for possession of firecrackers or firecracker sales,” he said.

“We assume the factory has no licence.”

The blast detonated from roughly 1,000kg (2,200 pounds) of gunpowder, he said, causing two holes roughly 2 metres ( 6.5 feet) deep and 6 metres (20 feet) wide.

“We have issued a summons to the owner of the factory with the charge of negligence, which caused the accident,” said Colonel Suthawet Thareethai, police chief in Muno district.

“We are waiting for him to come,” he said.

know more

Popular

More like this
Related

Auto giants surprisingly resilient as sweeping U.S. tariffs spare Canada and Mexico for now

The Stellantis Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada,...

Trump’s 25% auto tariffs are in effect. What investors need to know

Vehicles seen on the lot of a Ford auto...

Layoff announcements surge to the most since the pandemic as Musk’s DOGE slices federal labor force

Employees of the Department of Health and Human Services...

Arsenal to ‘axe SEVEN’ to fund bid for Joshua Zirkzee?

Arsenal are about to AXE seven players and that should fund a ‘huge’ spending spree. Will it be William Saliba? Not quite… The not-so-magnificent SEVEN ‘Mikel Arteta to offload seven Arsenal players to fund huge summer spending spree – Paper Talk’ was a Sky Sports headline that made Mediawatch sit up in its chair this